Monday, September 22, 2008

Fishy Business

We have a fish tank that contains two rather large and oddly shaped fish. These two are the only remaining survivors from a previous array of about 10. Yea. They all died.
The good news is that these two were also our more costly pets (coming in over .25 a piece).

One of these fine fellas we affectionately call Hicky, named for his unusual markings and even unusual-er method of swimming. If ever a fish waddled, it was this one.

Well a bit ago, Hicky had a near-death experience and has never really been the same. He began performing some acrobatics, such as the one at left, that were quite impressive. I honestly was beginning to think the poor fish was just attention starved.
Then I began to realize he really just can't help himself. He seems to be top-heavy. Or something.
He really takes it like a champ though. He's mastered the art of swimming upside down and he spends his "spare time" lying in this position at the bottom of the tank (and no he is not dead).
I'm completely baffled and sometimes wish I just understood fish antics. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll look up "tips on how to deal with your top-heavy fish"... after I'm done snorting through my nose.

    Hilarious!

    (Yeah for camera-ness! Do we get one of your belly?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wrote about your peculiar pet. He really is strangely amazing.

    ReplyDelete