Monday, January 19, 2009

Lullaby Craziness

If you know my family, you know we're all a little obsessed with kids songs (Veggie Tales and the like are big hits!). I have vivid childhood memories of dancing around our living room to songs like "See Me Run" and "Sally the Camel." Honestly I think Mom has a song for just about anything...

But when it comes to lullabies, as in soothing rock-the-baby-to-sleep music, I think of my Daddy. Not only does Dad have a beautiful tenor voice, but he's also composed several lullabies himself. His voice often plays in my head when I sing to Daven.

The funny thing is, sometimes I can't remember all the words to these songs that used to be so familiar (Placenta Brain continued?). It's a wee bit frustrating now that I want to use them again. The songs that have come back often include hand actions or just left a strong impression on my childhood self.

For example, I raised rabbits as a child and I guess that's why this song scared me a bit . . .


In a cottage in a wood

A little old man by the window stood.

He saw a little rabbit hopping by

Knocking at each door.

"Help me, help me, Sir!" he said

"Or that farmer will shoot me dead!" (Dad always edited this line...)

"Come little rabbit, come with me,

Happy we will always be."


Yea. Traumatizing. There's another one about a rabbit getting turned into a "goon". We won't even go there.

2 comments:

  1. My children think it's "Before the farmer bops my head ... Come little rabbit, come inside ... warm up by my fire."

    And they particularly love the GOON song. A classic.

    ReplyDelete