Thursday, February 24, 2011

Questions for the Void

Alright, my fellow friends in Mommyhood, I’m new to this full-time, stay-at-home, no studying, homework or required reading way of life.

What do you do all day?

How to you spend those much-loved minutes of naptime?
What helps you to feel accomplished? productive? motivated? (on a limited budget)
What do you do to stimulate your brain during those (much-loved) days of child’s play?

“Sisters, find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them. Water cannot be drawn from an empty well, and if you are not setting aside a little time for what replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children.”
– Elder M. Russell Ballard

How do you “fill your well”?

I’m excited to have free time that isn’t automatically filled with schoolwork—and I’m excited to feed off of your wisdom and advice. Please share.


I also love what this talk says about creating.

3 comments:

  1. For me it goes back and forth between a lot of things. I LOVE blogging so I stay up on that. I also like digital scrapbooking so I try to stay up on that-but I can get burnt out so I have to mix it up and only do it one or two days a week- right now I have been finding things I want to make/sew and putting together my fabric scraps to make those random things. I also sometimes HAVE to give myself a nap during nap time! Its always a great time paint your nails or do things you can't do with little people needing things. So to sum it up I guess I make it my crafting/relaxing/get things done time-which ever needs done-or which ever I NEED to do for my own sanity is what I do! SOMETIMES I clean-but I usually save that for during snack time after nap time is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome question. I've never been a mom and a student, and I think I'm already busy. I can't imagine having school work as well. Staying spiritually strong can easily slip through your fingers. It's my priority. I study the scriptures during Lily's morning nap, and again for a few minutes during her long, afternoon nap. During the day, I plan dinner menu's, (which isn't very fun for me, but if I do it, our meals are good and healthy,) bills, visiting teaching calls, calling responsibilities, organize play-dates with fellow moms and kids, exercising. Amid the do-to's, I make sure to just sit and play with Lils, do something creative like painting or using play-dough or dancing to random music or looking at scripture books. When she's down for her nap, after I study, it depends on the day. Somedays, I really just need a nap. Other days I feel really productive and I work on projects. Since my major was art, I feel like I need to practice often so I don't loose skills. Plus, it really boosts the confidence when you can sit down and create something beautiful instead of watching TV or something. Time is what you make of it, and I think during different stages in life we use it different ways. I wish you lived closer, the kiddos could get together and play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote too! I'm so glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete