Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Something to Look Forward to

The unknown is a little scary (obviously). We’re not really sure what to expect from the Army lifestyle. Yet I’ve been amazed at the little ways I feel the Lord is comforting us as we prepare to head down this path. These experiences aren’t really anything spectacular, but they fill my soul in ways I never anticipated:
I’ve been feeding off the Church’s website on Military Relations. There are so many great ideas to prepare for times of separation, keep relationships strong, and avoid temptations. Here are some more fun ideas!

On the BYU channel the other day there was a documentary about a mother of six whose husband was deployed. She openly said it was tough and that sometimes she was just trying to get from one day to the next; but I was awed by the sweet ways she kept her children engaged with their father, through care packages, Skype, and letters. What I loved even more? the way she and her husband interacted. They saved time to talk over the internet, just the two of them, about any issues that needed resolving—children or finances or whatever. There was also set aside “flirt” time in which they kept things positive and light and just talked. Beautiful. We’ll be doing that ;)


The other day at the temple, this sweet lady came into our session late. She apologized profusely and explained that her babysitter had fallen through. A temple-worker asked how many children she had. “Three,” she said, “and their dad is in Iraq. I just had to make it to the temple. It’s my lifeline while he’s gone!” I wanted to jump up and hug her and thank her for being there. I needed her example that day—and probably for the future too.

Our awesome neighbors connected us with an awesome couple who just spent a year and a half in Monterey. Over lunch we bombarded the Sommerfeldts with questions. They gave us great advice and eased so many of my fears. People are so kind!

Ya know, I'm really starting to get excited about Army life.

2 comments:

  1. You are so awesome. Simply having the positive attitude that you do, will get you through anything. (I like the new Mormon Military Mama look. :))

    ReplyDelete