I had grabbed the wrong hand.
While I don’t remember all the details of this story, I do remember how awful and scared I felt. I knew that I never wanted to hold the wrong hand again.
Watching Dad’s big hands over the years has made me want to emulate their actions. I can easily picture them . . .
- At Work. Dad is innovative. A handyman. Mr. Fixit. We all know that Dad can and will get it done. He’s always busy and always willing to help, from cleaning the house to homework. He serves and puts others first. Always.
- Playing, Drawing, Throwing a Ball. Ultimately, just being with the kids. He taught us to ride bikes, drew pictures for us during Church, and of course played ball (basically every kind). And he is the Scrabble master.
- Tapping Out a Rhythm. Dad taught me to love music, which is where so much of my testimony was founded. He has immense talent for singing and writing music as well.
- Giving Hugs. Dad is gentle. After tough games or recitals, he provided amazing comfort and encouragement with a “love” or a pat on the back. Now his grandkids love feeling safe with him close.
- In a Handshake. He is man of integrity. Always honest, and always friendly. He’s pretty good at chatting too. ;)
- Folded in Prayer. At our house it often takes a long time to get the chatter to stop for family prayers. Dad would sit with his arms folded, patiently waiting.
- Holding Mom’s. My parents have always been very united. At our house you couldn’t go ask Mom if Dad said “no” (and vice versa). They counseled together, attended the temple together and treated each other with respect.
- Giving Father’s blessings. Dad magnifies his priesthood. He’s ready at a moments notice if asked for a blessing. He accepts callings willingly.
And the best thing Dad has given me is a better understanding of my Heavenly Father’s hand. Dad taught me to look for and recognize the Lord’s tender mercies in my life. As I’ve watched his hands, I’ve seen the Lord’s, as Dad has so often been the instrument.
(excerpts from my Father’s Day talk, 2007)
No comments:
Post a Comment