There’s an episode of The Office in which Jim and Pam discuss taking “mental pictures.” Anytime there’s a sweet moment between them, they proceed to “click” their mental cameras.
I feel like I’ve had so many moments like this lately—moments which would be ruined by rushing to grab a real camera; and even if said camera were handy, it couldn’t do the moment justice. It would just get in the way. The moment wouldn’t be as vivid, viewed through a lens.
Moments like . . .
--The Kiddo, nose running, eyes shining as he masters the wobbly steps at the playground.
--Mike and The Kiddo, laying face-to-face, both grinning excitedly seconds before rolling down the hill.
--While both kids cry and whine in the backseat, catching Mike’s eye and that slow smile that sends us into laughter instead of frustration.
--Little Man’s dimpled smile as he grabs my face in both hands and presses his forehead to mine.
--The Kiddo’s scrunched up face and creased brow as he tries to understand something.
--Little Man’s look of triumph when he finally grasps the paper (he’s not supposed to have) in his chubby hand.
--A crisp night up on the mountain, just me and my Babe, looking at the stars above and the city lights down below. Not even talking. Just content.
Utterly content.
I love this. My mom always said "My heart takes a picture in moments like this." And I feel the same way. I wish there was some actual way to perfectly capture the essence of those priceless precious moments. I'm just praying heaven has been recording all along and someday we'll get to sit down together with a big bowl of popcorn in the sky and watch all those "home" videos: ) Not even joking. I hope that is a reality.
ReplyDelete