Saturday, March 5, 2011

Naptime

"Hey, Bud, naptime is in five minutes!” I say as I look at my two-year-old expectantly. Smiling mischievously, he turns tail and hurries up the stairs leaving a trail of giggles behind him. I can’t help but grin. Slowly I rush after him, catching him in a fit of kicks and laughter before he can reach the top. With a gentle tug, he’s swooped into my arms for a bear hug.

As I help him settle into “Mom and Dad’s” bed (the usual naptime location), I decide a few minutes of sleep sound nice to me too. To his utter delight, I clamber into the bed next to him. He smiles happily. “Mom lay down too!” he says excitedly. I smile, whisper “sleep tight,” kiss his forehead, and turn my back to him with a deep sigh. My eyes close easily, only to snap open a minute later. A melody of fake snoring drifts out from behind me. I find myself laughing as I turn to tickle him. He laughs hysterically as I roll over again. “Go to sleep, Silly Goose,” I say. Slowly, I settle back in, loving my decision to let myself sleep for a bit. It isn’t long, however, until a quiet series of “me-me-me-me-me” meets my ears. “HA, HA!” I cackle, “Who taught you that!?” Tickling him into submission, I can’t help thinking that he’s freaking hilarious. Again, I settle in for my nap, relishing the coolness of the room and the laughter that still echoes in the air. One last time, fake snores mingled with suppressed giggles cut through the quiet and I’m forced into laughter myself . . .

As the breathing behind me finally slows and deepens, I realize I can’t possibly sleep now. Instead, I turn to watch my son sleep. How I love him.
What a kid.
And what a satisfying nap.

2 comments:

  1. super adorable story. You are such a great mom and have such cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It's those sweet moments that make mommyhood the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete